Wednesday 11 April 2012

Making a Dial

I was originally going to made a digital dial for the credit but I was advised that a Dial like a gas meter would work better and that I could use cotton wool spools for it. So I set a about making a big gas meter.

I ended up having to buy cotton wool spools and empty them as I could not find ones that were already empty.

I cut and sanded off the edges and then cut them in half to make them thinner.

I then made a prototype slot for the dial to test if it would work and to see how big I would need to make the slot.

I stuck the pencil onto the back with hot glue.

It worked! So now I have to plan out the numbers I need for the dial.


 I planned out the numbers on a grid first and then made the strips of numbers on the computer.

 Here is the final dial. I stuck the strips of paper off with Pritt Stick after painting the spools black to hide any cracks.

and here is what it looks like with the infinity symbols lined up. It is now ready to stick onto the machine. I will probably use the pencil as it is a perfect fit for the spools.


No comments:

Post a Comment