Wednesday 4 April 2012

Building the Machine Part 1

I started building the machine weeks ago, but animation became priority. I had only made the main walls of The Machine, the same way I made the well.


Now I will finish it off so I can finish my filming.

I stuck a basin to the top, sanded off the sides of the foam and then stuck some rolled up newspaper near the join and put some balsa wood on the top to help give it a smooth finish.

I cut a hole in the side to give me a place where I can work the mechanism.
And cut a hole in the back in case I need to do any maintenance during filming.

I cut a hole in the top for where the parts of the machine will come out of.

Here is the cog that I made from balsa wood.

I will sick the instruction panel to the side of the machine here. I was going to have it light up but I decided that there might be already enough lights on The Machine and I do not want to give it too much attention as I only want it to be seen properly in the end of the film.
The control panel (for want of a better word) will be attached to the front with lights, a coin slot, a dial and a light up label.
I then put Mod-Roc and filler over the whole machine to give it an even finish.

I made the inner mechanism from Lego Technic. I had to re-design it as my previous one kept getting stuck.
It now runs like a dream...


I made the coin slot to fit the coin but not the ring.

I made the coin tray with a left over kids lipstick lid that I will be using for the lights.

To make the lights different colours I put paint into PVA glue and put in on the inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment