Thursday 1 March 2012

Casting Hands

Casting the hands in silicone has been a problem. The silicone has been harder to work with than I thought it would and it has taken a few attempts to to get some usable hands.

 To start with I mixed acrylic paint to get as close to the colour of my skin paint as possible. I mixed this into the silicone and attempted to add 5% catalyst to the silicone so that it would set.

 I then put my hand armatures into the moulds and spread in some of the silicone.

 I put some on top of a spare mould to make a flat so that I could wrap it up to make a neck.

 I clamped the moulds together so that they would set.

 Some of my attempts failed because I did not put enough catalyst into the mixture or I did not put enough mixture into the mould.

 Here are one set of hands for The Man that are ok and I will use as spares.

 Here are one set of hands for The Mechanic that I am happy enough with.

 Here are the final hands that I have made. I hope they hope up as I animate with them as I do not know if I have time to make any more.

 My mould for The Man's hands crack so badly I am unsure if they will work again.

But I am very happy with the neck I made with the flat of silicone.

I only have to make the clothes for the puppet now, but we will be getting extra advice for them so I they wll be better. Now I will continue with building my sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment